Thanks to everyone for all of the comments and feedback on my paneled headboard wall project. I still find myself going in there and just looking at it. A sign of a good end result for me. So, here is a step-by-step tutorial to help you create this look in your own home. It’s not difficult, it just takes a little time and attention to detail, so don’t be scared. 🙂 This post contains some affiliate links.
So, I promised a tutorial! This project was extremely affordable – all that I needed was some MDF boards since we already had the big tools we needed (nail gun) from when we did the board and batten in the hallway and laundry room back in January, as well as the trim paint. So, the basic supply list includes the following:
- 1×2 1/2″ MDF (I needed about 4 boards)
- 1×5 1/2″ MDF (1 board)
- 1×1″ MDF (1 board)
- Nail gun
- Paintable caulk
- Trim paint
So, since we were putting the headboard between the two windows, I took some measurements to try and figure out the best placement of the boards. (Yes, there is some math involved here, sorry).
I sketched out the space and started by taking the measurement between the two windows (55.5″) and cut the larger, 5 1/2″ piece of MDF and nailed it to the wall. This is the base for all of the vertical pieces, so make sure it’s level. As for the height of the headboard – I eyeballed it and it ended up being about 78″ tall. I wanted to have enough height so that it would show up once I put the pillows back on the bed.
For the vertical 2 1/2″ strips, I took the overall measurement between the two windows (55.5″) and divided it in half (27.75″), using it for the placement of my first board, working outwards from there.
I used a 12″ piece of wood as a spacer for this project, which is an easy way to move from board to board.
I can’t emphasize enough the importance of using a level in this project. When putting a grid together like this, you want to make sure the boards are straight.
I used the same technique when adding the horizontal boards. The squares ended up being about 12×12 when it was all said and done. One note here – before cutting your horizontal boards, double check your measurements. In making sure the vertical boards were straight, my 12″ measurements were off by a few millimeters, so we had to do some extra cutting to make sure the pieces fit.
It’s not pictured above, but we added a 1×1″ piece along the top to give it a more finished look. You can see it in the finished photos below. But, from here, it’s just a matter of caulking around the boards and gaps, spackling the nail holes, sanding and painting. I used trim paint that matched what we have in the house in a latex semi-gloss.
Some of you asked what color pink I used in her room – it’s Priscilla by Sherwin Williams. After having a Pepto Bismol pink incident in her room at our old house, I vowed not to make that mistake again and made sure that I bought a sample size to test it first this time. Much happier with the results!