I hope you’re all doing well, and not stressing out too badly if you’re hosting Thanksgiving. We’re visiting family, so that piece of stress is off my shoulders this year. It’s a good thing, because planning my cookie exchange for the following weekend has me plenty busy!
We have been hard at work on the fireplace, and I thought you all could relate to my experience last night. Did you ever read the book, “The Little Old Man Who Could Not Read” when you were a kid?
It’s an adorably cute book with lovely illustrations about a little old man who couldn’t read (shocking, I know), and is left to grocery shop on his own when his wife goes out of town. Since he can’t read, he ends up buying items based upon how they look, and as you might imagine, it doesn’t bode well.
I had my own “The Blogger Who Could Not Read” moment last night as I was working on the fireplace. Like I said, we’ve been making progress. Take a peek –
The drywall is up (and while I hate anything drywall, I have to say I did a pretty good job), and I’ve been working on the stone. Last night I got to work again, only to discover at the end of the evening I had made a big mistake.
Can you guess which product I accidentally used? Yes, that would be the drywall compound.
Fortunately, I discovered it and removed the pieces that I had worked to put up, but it’s so frustrating to have your productivity go down the tubes!
Have a wonderful day!
Kim @ Savvy Southern StyleNovember 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm
Oh, hate when that happens. Oh, can't wait to see this completed. Then maybe I can talk hubby into doing ours.
AndreaNovember 20, 2012 at 2:09 pm
it's looking great, and good for you to be doing it yourself-I'm impressed!
KimNovember 20, 2012 at 11:34 pm
I love your blog and I am so excited to see your fireplace results, especially the stone. I have wanted to do the same thing to our very boring fireplace surround (tile). Are you just laying the stone pieces over the existing material? It would be great if you blogged about the details.
We must not live too far from one another because you talk about some of the same stores I love!!
Thanks for your beautiful blog!!
Kim from Ohio
Bethany GuglianoNovember 21, 2012 at 12:19 am
Hi, the fireplace looks like it's off to a great start! My husband and I just did the same remodel to our fireplace and we used what looks to be the same stone. We used mortar the first time and it DID NOT WORK!! Use the adhesive! It is much stronger nad we found it to be better for interiors! Hope that helps – good luck!
Lisa @ Shine Your LightNovember 21, 2012 at 3:43 am
Ugh! Two steps forward, one step back, but you're still on your way! It looks great so far, looking forward to the progress photos!!
Wishing you a happy happy Thanksgiving with your family, Jen. So thankful for our friendship!